This month’s tip is one of our favorites! It is so simple, inexpensive and very effective. Who would have thought that APPLE CIDER VINEGAR would be a remedy for ear problems? Yes that’s right,apple cider vinegar can be used to clean and clear up yeast and bacterial ear infections in dogs and cats. Although the medications your vet will sell you will likely cure the problem, they can be expensive and sometimes too strong. Tender tissue can blister or burn. So, if you want to save some money and if you know your dog has sensitive skin, you may want to try this natural remedy first.
- Mix together 2 parts warm water with 1 part apple cider vinegar. Dip a cotton ball in the mixture, lift it above bowl, and give it a little squeeze and shake.
- Next, squeeze the rest of what the cotton ball retained into your dog’s ear and then discard cotton ball. If the ears are really gunky you can rinse them using a 3 ounce ear syringe. Hint: Wrap a towel around your pet’s neck to catch the extra solution.
- Starting at the base of the ear with your thumb on one side and your fingers on the other, massage your dog’s ear until you hear a “sqidge” kind of noise. Usually about 15 seconds of massage is good.
- Look in ear and clean out any debris or brownish residue brought up by the massage/rinse. Next use a cotton ball or cotton swab to clean away debris. This process should be repeated 2 times per day for at least 7 days. When your dog’s ear is flesh colored again and not red or hot you can rest assured your dog’s infection is gone.
- Removing the hair inside the ears with tweezers will also help keep your pet’s ears clean and dry.
- If you find that the apple cider vinegar does not work your dog may have something other than an ear or yeast infection. Ear mites are often mistaken for ear infections. Your dog will exhibit similar discomfort, like scratching the ear, rubbing the offending ear on the carpet or furniture, or shaking his head a lot. In this case visit your vet to have an examination and culture taken of your pet’s ears.
Responsible dog ownership is a process of learning all you can to make life better for you and your wonderful companion. We hope this month’s tip is informative and helpful.
Enjoy your furry friends!